Access to employment

Persons who are of foreign extraction from a non-EU country can work in Spain for third parties (when they are hired by an employer) or freelance under certain conditions. In all cases they will need a Residence and Work Permit . The permit is obtained in the country of origin, unless the person has a Residence Permit. If the person’s situation in Spain is irregular, he or she cannot commence proceedings to apply for the Residence and Work Permit.

The minimum working age is 18, although young people can work when they become 16 with the permission of their parents or guardians.

Foreign workers hired without a Residence and Work Permit are not in a legal situation, but they have employment rights. Any circumstance considered anomalous such as excessive working hours, wage discrimination, claims for sums of money, hazards in the work place or unfair dismissal can be notified to trade union representatives (ELA, CC.OO, LAB, UGT, EHNE or Domestic Workers’ Association) or to the local authorities Employment Inspection).

Foreign nationals with a Residence and Work Permit,can seek work and to do so should register at the Basque Employment Service Lanbide. Registering with this body also allows access to employment training courses. Likewise, as well as foreign nationals with a Residence and Work Permit, those foreign nationals with a Residence Permit can also register as job seekers with Lanbide.

Unemployed status is certified by Lanbide and can prove very useful as an employer recruiting a certified unemployed person is eligible for state allowances in the employment contract.

For specific issues related to professional training, other bodies than the ones mentioned can be consulted, for example, public bodies like the Basque Foundation for Continuous Professional Hobetuz or in the actual training centres.

Job hunting

Durango Town Hall and the Durango Local Area Association, through the Local Development Agency-Behargintza supports all those people who are actively looking for work or planning to set up their own company. This agency among other things allows people to register on the Basque Employment Service list Lanbide.

Other resources in Durango are: